Thursday, January 28, 2010

Obama's State of the Union Address


Unfortunately for those who don't agree with me, this blog will be mostly opinion about what I liked and didn't like about President Obama's speech last night.


What I liked


I liked his general speechmaking techniques. His were definately better than George W. Bush's. I like his idea of starting nuclear power and clean coal technology. I have always felt that nuclear power would solve a lot of problems on both sides of the isle. For liberals, it's clean and very effecient. For conservatives, it is cheap and would put a lot of people to work, and the US wouldn't have to rely on oil from other countries as much. I liked his idea of freezing spending next year. I feel that that is a step in the right direction. Freezing spending would be good for our economy. I liked how he finally took some blame for how much he spent this past year in office. I like the idea of improving education for students. I liked his proposal of creating more jobs and I liked how he said he eliminated $20 billion worth of stuff from the budget for next year.


What I didn't like


I didn't like how he acted like a Washington outsider, referring to "them" as if he isn't the president. I didn't like how he got on Republicans saying, "To Democrats, I would remind you that we still have the largest majority in decades, and the people expect us to solve problems, not run for the hills. And if the Republican leadership is going to insist that 60 votes in the Senate are required to do any business at all in this town — a supermajority — then the responsibility to govern is now yours as well. Just saying no to everything may be good short-term politics, but it's not leadership. We were sent here to serve our citizens, not our ambitions. So let's show the American people that we can do it together." To me, that's like saying, "Republicans, it's not showing leadership to just vote no on everything." Well, maybe they are voting no because the Republicans who voted their representatives into office don't want any of his stuff, at least not without further review. Why should Republicans vote yes for everything when they haven't read the bills and the Republicans who voted in their representatives don't want it. That is truly representing your people. It takes guts to do what they are doing, and to me, that is real leadership. Not doing what Obama wants, but doing what your party wants. I didn't agree with how he got on the Supreme Court. If he has issues with them and one of their rulings, then fine. I just don't think the State of the Union address was the appropriate time to do it. They couldn't defend them selves. Wrong place, Mr. Obama. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100128/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_state_of_the_union_text

I also don't think more spending like job creation bills will help our economy. I feel that the government is too big, and that the economy will right it self with less government intervention. As I said before in a previous post, Government rules so that the average individual doesn't get screwed over? Yes, of course. Government extreme regulation, unappointed czars, government take overs? No, that's too much government. And that's a fine line to have, because there are always going to be people on both sides. I also didn't agree with how he constantly compared the US to China and India. Yes, they are developing countries. One of the reasons they develop faster is because they don't have special interest groups and environmentalists to slow things down. Oh, and China and India pollute way more than the US does. Their environment laws are far less restrictive than ours. I didn't agree with his ending of the don't ask don't tell laws. Just something I don't agree with. http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/01/27/gays-in-the-military-repeal-sought-republicans-balk/


Oh, and enough with the bashing of Bush. Yes, the economy was down when you got into office, but you have been the president for a year now. For most of the Bush administration, the unemployment rate was low, and things weren't too bad. http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/hannity-20060323-jobs.jpg


So anyway, there is my rant. I was surprised, there was a lot of his speech that I actually liked. So here is to another year! We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment